Using Dual SIM with an eSIM
iPhone XS, and iPhone XS Max with eSIM. An eSIM is a digital SIM that allows you to activate a cellular plan from your carrier without having to use a physical nano-SIM.
- eSIM on iPhone is not offered in mainland China. In Hong Kong and Macau, only iPhone XS features eSIM. Learn about
- This uses Dual SIM Dual Standby (DSDS) technology, which means that both SIMs can make and receive calls. If one number is on a call, incoming calls on the other number will go to voicemail.
What you need
- An unlocked iPhone XS, or iPhone XS Max with iOS 12.1 or later
- GigSky App
Your first Purchase
- Go to the App Store and download the GigSky app
- Select Allow to let the GigSky app use your location services
- Select Allow to let the GigSky app send notifications (this is required to send you information when your data plan is running low)
- Use the app to purchase a cellular plan
- Open the app
- If you are not already a GigSky customer, you will need to create an account
- If you are a GigSky customer, you can just sign on to your GigSky account
- The app will show your current location, if that is not the location which you wish to purchase a data plan, select "Change Destination"
- Select the data plan you would like to purchase, select Buy Now
- Select Buy Plan
- Customize Plan Label - select Copy Label And Proceed
- Select Continue
- Select Add Cellular Plan
- Select Secondary
- Go down to Custom Label and paste the label copied earlier and select Done
- Select Continue
- You will be presented with a Default Line screen, this screen is for you to select how you would like to use your eSIM. If you would like to use the data plan purchased on your eSIM immediately, select option 3 Use GigSky Plan for cellular data only and you're set to go!
Use Primary as your default line: If you select this option, Primary will be used by default for voice, SMS, Data, iMessage, and FaceTime. Secondary will be available just for voice and SMS.
Use Secondary as your default line: If you select this option, Secondary will be used for voice, SMS, Data, iMessage, and FaceTime. Primary will be available just for voice and SMS.
Use Secondary for cellular data only: You might want to select this option if you're traveling internationally and you want to keep Primary for voice, SMS, iMessage, and FaceTime. This will allow you to use Secondary for data.
To confirm your GigSky Plan is working, go to Settings - > Cellular and check your Cellular Data usage at the top of the page, the customer label you created when purchasing the plan should be selected for use.
You can also pull down from the top right of the screen to see the Control Center, on the top left of the Control Center will show your Primary SIM and your GigSky eSIM with cellular signal strength.
For further Apple support on eSIM, you can visit the Apple eSIM support page at Apple eSIM.