This article describes how to get started with GigSky on a Nokia Lumia 1020 smartphone.
First, you need to install the GigSky SIM into your Lumia 1020 and configure the smartphone to use the GigSky service:
- Ensure that the power is turned off on your Lumia 1020.
- Pop out the SIM tray. Refer to the manufacturer's documentation or website for instructions on how to do this.
- Remove the old SIM (if there is one), pop out the matching sized GigSky SIM, install it in the SIM tray, and replace the SIM tray.
- Power up the phone.
- Open Settings / cellular+SIM
- Check Data connection is On and Data roaming options is roam.
- Tap SIM settings.
- Enter GigSky into the SIM name field.
- Make sure that Network selection is set to automatic.
- Tap add internet apn.
- Enter "gigsky" (without quotation marks) into the APN field. Ignore the other fields.
- Tap the Save icon.
- If an access point was already defined, tap the one you have just created for GigSky to activate it.
Your Lumia 1020 is now configured to use GigSky for mobile data. You may have to wait up to 30 minutes for the SIM card, local network and the GigSky service provider to update each other to allow you to use local data for the first time in a new country. Also, it's a good idea to check any smartphone apps you have running for those that are using push notifications or mobile data, turning off any that are unnecessary. This will reduce the amount of mobile data you'll be using. Email and social media apps often use data in the background.
The next stage is to create yourself a GigSky account, and add your SIM card to that account. This will enable you to buy data plans for that SIM card which will allow you to use mobile data. GigSky allows you to connect to the mobile data network without having to pre-buy a data plan. Alternatively, you can use a Wi-Fi connection, if available.
- Open Internet Explorer and go to https://www.gigsky.com. You will be taken to our mobile website.
- Tap the button labeled Sign Up.
- Enter your account details, and tap Sign up. Your account will be created and you will be signed in automatically.
- Enter the Activation Code of your SIM card (printed on the SIM carrier), a nickname for your SIM, and tap Start using GigSky!
- You should now see your GigSky home screen, where you can purchase a data plan for your current location, among other things.