This article describes how to get started with GigSky on an Android smartphone.
First, you need to install the GigSky SIM into your device and configure it to use the GigSky service:
- Ensure that the power is turned off.
- Pop out the SIM tray.
- Remove the old SIM (if there is one), pop out the matching sized GigSky SIM, install it in the SIM tray, and replace the SIM tray into the phone.
- Power up the phone.
- Open Settings > More... > Mobile networks.
- Check Data roaming is ON.
- Open Access point names.
- Tap the + symbol next to the menu icon to create a new APN.
- Tap the Name field and enter GigSky, or any other name you'd like to use for this setting. Tap OK.
- Tap the APN field and enter "gigsky" (without quotation marks, all lower case). Tap OK.
- Tap the APN type field and enter "default" (without quotation marks). Tap OK.
- Tap the menu icon at the top of the screen and select Save.
- Make sure that the radio button next to the GigSky APN is selected.
Your device is now configured to use GigSky for mobile data. You may have to wait up to 15 minutes for the SIM card, local network, and the GigSky service provider to update each other to allow you to use local data for the first time in a new country. Also, it's a good idea to check any smartphone apps you have running for those that are using push notifications or mobile data, turning off any that are unnecessary. This will reduce the amount of mobile data you'll be using. Email and social media apps often use data in the background.
The next stage is to create yourself a GigSky account and add your SIM card to that account. This will enable you to buy data plans for that SIM card which will allow you to use mobile data. GigSky allows you to connect to the mobile data network without having to pre-buy a data plan. Alternatively, you can use a Wi-Fi connection, if available.
- Open Chrome and go to https://app.gigsky.com. You will be taken to our mobile website.
- Tap the button labeled Sign Up.
- Enter your account details, and tap Sign up. Your account will be created and you will be signed in automatically.
- Enter the Activation Code of your SIM card (printed on the SIM carrier), a nickname for your SIM, and click Add SIM Card.
- You should now see your GigSky home screen, from where you can purchase a data plan for your current location, among other things.
You can manage your GigSky account with the GigSky web app, which can be accessed from here.