Follow these steps to get started:
- Turn on the hotspot.
- Connect your Wi-Fi enabled device to the hotspot’s Wi-Fi network. The SSID and Wi-Fi key are engraved on the back of the hotspot. NOTE: iOS devices (iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch) have a feature called Auto-Login which is enabled by default, and can cause your iOS device to be disconnected from the hotspot’s Wi-Fi network. To turn Auto-Login off:
- On your iOS device, go to Settings / Wi-Fi.
- Find the hotspot’s Wi-Fi network name in the list of networks, and tap the (i) to the right of the name.
- Turn off the Auto-Login setting.
- Open a browser on your device
- If you see the administration page for your hotspot, then you’re not connected to the Internet. The initial set up of a GigSky mobile data connection can take a few minutes. Refer to the Quick Start guide provided with the hotspot to interpret the hotspot display - the hotspot is connected successfully when the display shows a globe icon at the top, and numbers at the bottom of the display (amount of data and duration of the data session).
- Another possibility is that the APN (Access Point Name) may have been reset to the factory default. This can happen when moving between countries. To check:
- On the admin page (url of 192.168.1.1), log in (username / password of admin / admin).
- Go to Settings -> Dial-up -> Profile Management and select GigSky from the Profile name drop-down menu.
- Click Apply.
- When you see the GigSky homepage in your browser (www.gigsky.com), you are connected to our captive portal.
- If you haven’t already, create a GigSky account by going to https://app.gigsky.com or by using our smartphone app.
- Log in to your GigSky account and activate the SIM card that’s installed in your hotspot. The SIM card activation code is printed on the card that held the SIM card, as well as the SIM itself.
- Select SIMs, then activate SIM.
- Enter the activation code, a nickname for the SIM card, and add it to your account.
- To surf the web, you must now buy a GigSky data plan for your location. With both the web client and the app, the dashboard will show the plans for the country in which the SIM card last connected to a network. If you’re working through these instructions with your hotspot, that should be your current location.
- If you want to buy a data plan for the country shown in the dashboard, select and buy the size of plan that suits your needs. Within seconds, your data balance will be increased and you’ll be able to browse the Internet, check your email, etc.
- If you want to buy a plan for a different location, either enter the country name into the search box (web client), or tap + (smartphone app).
There are important things to note when using our mobile hotspot:
- The first time the hotspot is used in a new country, it can take up to 30 minutes to connect and register with our service.
- Any device connected to the hotspot’s Wi-Fi network will not realize that it’s actually connected to a cellular data network, so any settings that usually restrict data access when connected to a cellular network will be ignored. We suggest turning off push notifications for email and social apps, closing non-essential apps, and powering off the hotspot when you don’t need to use mobile data to reduce excessive data usage.
We also recommend that, if you have an iOS or Android device, you use the Huawei HiLink app to manage your hotspot, including resetting the APN to “gigsky” when needed.