First, you need to install the GigSky SIM into your unlocked mobile device and configure it to use the GigSky service:
- Ensure that the power is turned off on your device.
- Remove the old SIM (if one is installed), pop out the matching sized GigSky SIM, and install it in your device.
- Power up your device.
- Menu options vary between devices. You need to ensure that the following configuration settings are made:
- Cellular Data -> ON.
- Data Roaming -> ON.
- APN (Access Point Name) -> "gigsky" (without quotation marks, all lower-case).
Your device is now configured to use GigSky for mobile data. You may have to wait a few minutes for the SIM card, local network, and the GigSky service provider to update each other to allow you to use local data for the first time in a new country. Also, it's a good idea to check any apps you have running for those that are using push notifications or mobile data, turning off any that are unnecessary. This will reduce the amount of mobile data you'll be using. Email and social media apps often use data in the background.
The next stage is to create yourself a GigSky account and add your SIM card to that account. GigSky allows you to connect to the mobile data network in order to create your account without having to pre-buy a data plan. Alternatively, you can use a Wi-Fi connection for the remaining steps.
- Go to https://app.gigsky.com.
- Log in with your existing account, or, click the Sign up link.
- Fill out the fields, and click Sign up.
- Click Activate your SIM.
- Enter the Activation Code of your SIM card (printed on the SIM carrier), a nickname for your SIM, and click Add SIM Card.
- You should now see your GigSky account dashboard. Click Add data plan to purchase a data plan for the country in which you want to use GigSky data. NOTE: The timer for your plan duration may start at the time of purchase, so we recommend that you buy the plan at your destination and not in advance.
- If you're already in that country, toggle Airplane mode (or if using a Mobile Hotspot, turn it off and on) to ensure that the service is activated.